Wednesday 26 October 2016

Darkness Dominates - Chapter 9


“Can you help me?” Diane asked the woman behind the reception desk. “My daughter was brought here by ambulance! I want to know where she is!”
“What’s her name?”
“Darcy Alexandra Farnham”
“I just needed the first and last names”
Doug kept his annoyance at this remark buried. He merely gave her a dirty look.
The woman dealing with Diane entered the name into the hospital database and clicked on the search symbol.
“Ah yes, here we are. She was admitted a few hours ago, Mrs. Farnham.”
“I’m not married.”                        
“Who’s he, then?”
“Who he is isn’t any of your business” said Diane tersely.
“Obviously” replied the receptionist. “The paramedics described her symptoms to Dr. Redding, and he recommended an immediate cat-scan.”
“Where can we find him?”
“In his office, probably, Ms Farnham”
“Where is it?”
“Go down the corridor to the left of here, take the second door on the right, head down the corridor behind it, and then take the first left. It’s the third door on the right.”
Doug and Diane were halfway through following these directions, when one of the ward sisters walked up to them, asking them where they were going.
“To Dr. Redding’s office” said Diane.
“Well, you’re going the wrong way. This corridor leads to the maternity unit. Let me guess, Glenda gave you these directions.”
“I don’t know the receptionist’s name” replied Diane. “I just know she has an attitude problem. I gave her my daughter’s full name, and she said she only needed...”
“...the first and last names” continued the ward sister. “Yeah, that sounds like her.”
“How did you know what she was going to say?” asked Doug.
“It’s not the first time Glenda has said that to families giving the full names of relatives who’ve been admitted. I’ve had my fair share of complaints from them. Sister Martha Buchanan.”
“Diane Farnham and this is my friend, Doug Trennell.”
“Councillor Trennell’s husband”
“You know my wife?”
“Not personally, but I heard her being interviewed on BBC Radio Alvenshire about that god awful family – the Hicks. Are they being evicted?”
“Pips was hoping for this outcome, but I’m afraid they aren’t, no.”
Sister Buchanan suddenly rewound her mind back to hearing the surname Farnham mentioned.
“Are you Darcy’s mum, by any chance?”
“How do you know my daughter’s name?”
“I was with Dr. Redding when she was brought in. The paramedics told me her name – they’d gotten it from one of the students.”
Sister Buchanan’s face became a little graver.
“I’ll take you to Dr. Redding’s office – the right way, this time.”
When they got there, Diane knocked on his door.
“Come in.”
Diane went in alone. Doug had gone off to find the nearest coffee machine.
Dr. Redding let her take a seat without offering it first. She sat down briskly.
“Your daughter has your ears” he remarked, in order to make her feel at ease.
Ms Farnham could tell this was a ploy in which to prepare her for bad news. She responded to it anyway.
“Her ears are a tiny bit smaller.”
He rested his chin on the knuckles of both his hands.
“What did the cat-scan reveal?” asked Diane, eager to get down to business.
Dr. Redding showed her the pictures taken during the procedure. He stood up and pointed at the one on the top left-hand corner; he then took his seat again.
“What am I looking at?”
“A brain tumour – there’s no nice way of saying this, Mrs. Farnham, but...”
“Ms. Farnham – I’m not married.”
“There’s no nice way of saying this, Ms Farnham. The tumour is growing rapidly, and it’s positioned around some of the brain’s blood vessels.”
“Can’t you operate – remove the tumour?”
“We daren’t – there’s too great a risk of one or more blood vessels rupturing if surgery was carried out. That would lead to internal bleeding. Consequently, Darcy would likely suffer a brain haemorrhage.”
“So either way, there’s no hope.”
“I’m so very sorry, Ms Farnham, but in this case there isn’t. The only advice I can offer here is to be there for her.”
“How long has Darcy got?”
“At the tumour’s current growth rate, I would estimate between three weeks and two months. I can’t pin it down anymore than that – I don’t have a specific timeframe.”
Diane leaned forward slightly.
“Tell me, Dr. Redding – how many patients’ relatives have you denied hope to?”
“I don’t deny people hope, if there is any. My job is to deliver the facts about a medical condition, whether it’s treatable or terminal.”
“Well, there is hope, Dr. Redding – I won’t let her die!” Diane said firmly.
“If you’re talking about alternative and experimental treatments, I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t advise you against going down that road.”
Like a robot learning to stand, Diane rose from her chair.
“Don’t go yet, Ms Farnham”
“I’ve heard all I want to!”
“I want to discuss the possibility of counselling” he said, with gentle authority.
She partially opened his office door.
“I’ll be back tomorrow to collect Darcy.”
“She needs to be kept under observation for at least a couple of days – maybe more if her condition changes, or worsens.”
Putting both her palms flat on the doctor’s desk, Diane leaned in even closer to him than she’d done earlier.
“I’ll be back for her tomorrow!”
There was an aggressive edge to her voice, which hadn’t been there when entering Dr. Redding’s office. He said nothing as he watched her leave the room.
Outside in the corridor, Doug was sat in the second seat in a row of three. He had hold of two coffees, one of which was for Diane. He passed it to her, but she didn’t stop walking away from the room she’d been in. Putting down both hot beverages on seat number three, he went after her.
“Where are you going?”
“Sudfield Hall”
“What did Dr. Redding say?”
Lacking emotion, Diane answered “She has a brain tumour – they can’t do anything. Darcy’s got less than two months.”
“Christ! Diane, I’m so, so sorry!”
She stopped still for a moment then turned to face Doug.
He put his arms around her. The hug didn’t last more than several seconds. She freed herself from the sympathy cuddle and took four steps backward.
“If there’s anything I can do, Diane.”
“There is, Doug. I want you to give Skye Linton a message.”
He was suddenly mystified. Doug couldn’t see how she fitted into what was going on with Diane’s daughter. Despite this, he asked “What message?”
“Tell her the deal’s off! I don’t care anymore what I owe Skye – I owe Darcy more!”
Whilst Doug tried to make sense of what she’d said, Diane continued walking away. On her way to her car, she selected a number on her phone.
Resting on a shelf below the round window, a blue I-Phone started ringing. Instead of the traditional telephone sound, the song ‘Radioactive’ echoed around the room. Emma answered it. Sophie was doing ballet routines. There was no background music playing. She was using melodies in her head to guide her feet. Both of the sisters were wearing nightgowns – Sophie’s was orange and Emma’s was dark purple. Every one of the walls had something written on it in animal blood. One such sentence – “Sally North has a good heart...I’d like to play Lacrosse with it” – had been daubed less than five minutes ago. The blood was still dripping.
Maggot-ridden carcasses of the creatures they’d used for this purpose lay flat against the room’s skirting boards. Flies were still buzzing around them. The air in the room was heavy with the unmistakable odour of decomposition.
“Hello? Diane, where are you? We were just decorating.”
She kept silent as she listened to what Ms Farnham was telling her. Sophie picked up a rabbit that Diane had brought into ‘The Fridge’ this morning. It struggled to escape – its’ back legs furiously pummelling thin air. The animal sensed what was coming. Sophie held it up to her face with one hand. With the other, she pierced the bunny’s stomach with a pair of scissors she’d hidden behind her back. With its blood, she scrawled the name Oswald on the wall opposite to where the circular window was.
Unlocking her car from a distance, Diane said “I want something in return!”
Sitting on the round window’s ledge, Emma listened intently to her condition.
“It’s a deal, Diane. Now, come free us.”
Done with the call, Ms Farnham re-entered her car and backed it out. In a matter of seconds, it drove away, minus Doug.
Emma turned to her sister, grinned eerily and said “We’re being let out to play!”

Pippa got through two coffees before deciding which of her pre-compiled questions to ask. Jennifer’s face had the complexion of someone over 35 again.
“A special kind of make-up to give people the impression I age naturally” said DCI Stoneham, thinking her friend was curious about this.
She wasn’t. This didn’t happen to be one of the things Councillor Trennell wanted to ask.
“I want Alicia to be one of those people who get that impression – promise me you’ll never tell her what I am.”
The request brought out Pippa’s indignant side.
“Why should I, Jennifer?”
“Because I don’t want her to know about that side of my life or about ‘The Guild’”
“What’s ‘The Guild’?”
“It’s a kind of vampire Parliament, but with less than ten members” replied Jennifer.
This was the only real world description she could come up with. Pippa got the general idea instantly.
“Fine, I won’t tell Alicia.”
The assurance she afforded Jennifer lacked empathy, but the promise was genuine enough for the DCI. With this issue out of the way, Councillor Trennell asked “What’s her real name?” pointing at the girl who’d been masquerading as Miss Linton.
“Leola” Skye said, answering Pippa’s question. “It’s a Saxon name. I kept it until 1102”
Councillor Trennell started pulling memories of books, films and TV shows depicting vampires to the front of her mind. She was re-analysing them. Suddenly, the ‘un-dead’ weren’t fiction anymore. Pippa couldn’t hide behind explanations that debunked the notion of their existence. The fangs weren’t dental implants. She’d seen them appear and then turn back into normal teeth right before her eyes.
“How many identities have you assumed, Leola?”
“I’ve lost count”
“I can believe it”
Her response to Leola’s answer was steeped in incredulity. This emotion wasn’t vanishing any time soon.
“What do I tell my family?”
“You don’t, Pips” said Jennifer firmly. “There’s nothing to be gained from doing that.”
“Except being open with the people I care about the most. What’s to stop me telling them? Why can’t I? Why can’t I tell Rosie?”
“Because she’ll think it’s cool that our kind exists! Teenage boys and girls seem to hero worship vampires these days.”
“They hero worship the actors and actresses playing them” said Pippa, correcting Leola. “They don’t actually worship what they are on screen!”
“It’s the same thing to me.”
“That proves how little you know Rosie – she’ll want reasons why you don’t consider it cool.”
“I can give you two – Emily and Lynette Eddington” said Leola.
“Who are they when they’re at home?”
“These days, they’re known as Emma and Sophie Walsh, Councillor Trennell”
“They’re...”
Leola nodded.
“So they didn’t bully you”
“That was a lie”
What had just occurred to Councillor Trennell was something Leola had expected her to realise, the second she learned vampires are real.
“She was right, wasn’t she?” Pippa said, thinking of Holly Pearce. “You were never a resident at Sudfield Hall.”
“I wasn’t, no” Leola said, without asking Pippa who the ‘she’ in question was.
“Who are the Eddington sisters?”
“Two blonde young women”
Pippa detected a significant amount of reticence in Leola’s voice, when talking about them. Nonetheless, she remained determined to learn more about these siblings.
“Who are they to you?”
“They’re a reminder”
“A reminder of what”
“Of the consequences of my compassion”
“You turned them both into...” began Pippa.
She suspended her reply whilst one of the waitresses passed their table.
“I did, yeah” said Leola, saving Councillor Trennell the bother of finishing her sentence.
“Why did you?”
The ringtone on Leola’s phone sounded just as she’d opened her mouth. She answered it, stood up and then moved away from the cafe table. Jennifer watched her pop outside to take the call.
“What did Skye...Leola mean by “consequences of my compassion?”
“What do you think she meant?”
After staring at the cafe’s entrance momentarily, Pippa turned back to Jennifer and forward, her mouth half-open.
“Emma and Sophie are her daughters?”
“Yes, and that’s all I know”
Pippa saw a specific movement of one of her left cheek’s muscle. She attributed it to three instances when Jennifer had fibbed about something.
“No it isn’t, Jennifer”
“It was my cheek, wasn’t it, Pips?”
“It always is. What don’t I know about Emma and Sophie?”
“When their father discovered what Leola was, he took his disgust out on them. Their sanity suffered and they both had a mental breakdown. Asylums were different in Edwardian times...treatments were more brutal that what they are now – do you see what I’m saying?”
“I do”
Pippa dared herself to picture the scenario Jennifer was hinting at. The side of her that was repulsed by such imagery intervened, blotting it out.
“How did they end up at Sudfield?”
“Leola...or Skye, if you like...lured them back to the UK. She’d been tracking them down since the late 1930s.
“Why did Leola really come back?”
“There’s something she needs.”
“What is it?”
“The Henford Dagger”
“Why does she need that?”
“To do two things: rectify a costly error of judgement and clean up the mess it created.”
Pippa didn’t need Jennifer to say any more. She’d already worked out what Leola’s intention was regarding the Eddington siblings. The conclusion wasn’t palatable to her, but she recognised it wasn’t her going to be doing the deed. Glancing at the wall behind the counter, she saw what time the clock was showing.
“I’d better call Rosie – she’ll be wondering why I’m late coming back” she said to DCI Stoneham.
Her I-Phone had only been switched on for a moment, when it rang. Councillor Trennell let the ringtone sound twice before taking it.
“Yes, who is it? Rosie? Slow down, love. U-huh...okay, stay where you are! I’ll explain why I was delayed when I get back.”
“What’s going on?”
“That was Rosie – she said Doug called her, saying that Diane had taken off from Canroth General. I don’t know any more than that, except him saying he’s going to catch the next train back to Alven.”
Leola re-entered, ending the call she’d received. She glanced over at Jennifer and Pippa, viewing their expressions.
“What’s wrong?”
DCI Stoneham didn’t enlighten Skye until she was in Pippa’s house. Councillor Trennell, Jennifer and Leola were at the dining table, when Doug finally walked through his front door. Rosie was upstairs in her bedroom, on the phone to Alicia.
“Evening, Pips”
His eyes opened wider when he saw DCI Stoneham sat between Pippa and Leola.
“Evening, Jennifer – I didn’t expect you to...”
Doug broke off, and Jennifer saw he had the expression of someone ready to issue terrible news. She’d had that look a few times when she was a WPC.
“What’s happened?”
“Diane’s daughter, Darcy”
Standing up, Pippa asked “What about her?”
“She’s got a brain tumour. Diane was told the doctors can’t remove it. Dr. Redding doesn’t think she’s got long – possibly two months”
Councillor Trennell cupped her hands over her mouth. Doug caught Jennifer’s stare, before his eyes connected with Leola’s gaze.
“Skye, Diane wanted me to give you a message”
“What message?”
“This is going to sound strange” said Doug, having thought about it for a moment. “She said the deal is off, she no longer cares about what she owes you, and that she owes Darcy more.”
“What does that mean?”
“I don’t know, Pips. She told me to pass that message on to Skye, and then she left me stranded at the hospital.”
Leola’s eyes moved in all directions. When they were still again, she said to Doug “Repeat that last part again”.
“She owes Darcy more” he replied, without knowing why he’d been asked to do that.
Reaching into one of her pockets, Leola pulled out her phone. She was about to scroll down the list of contacts on it, when one of the landline phones in the house began to ring. Pippa picked it up, being the nearest one to it.
“Hello? Diane?”
Pippa turned to Leola and said “She wants to talk to you”.
She took the phone from her and walked to the centre of the room.
Diane was making the call via her I-Phone. She had just entered Sudfield’s ground floor.
“Hello, Leola” she said.
“Where are you now?”
“At the foot of the stairs”
In the background, Leola heard the voices of Emerald Hyford and Sally North. They were raised again. Another row between them had erupted.
“I got your message”
“I knew he’d deliver it. Doug thinks it was my grief talking.”
“In a way, Diane, it is! I can’t think of any other reason why you’d consider doing this.”
“Doing what?” mouthed Doug.
Nobody answered him.
“It’s the only reason I’m prepared to give!”
DCI Stoneham was the only one who realised Doug was baffled by Diane’s strange behaviour at the hospital. She felt he needed an explanation that would be easy to accept.
“She’s having trouble dealing with such terrible news” said Jennifer.
Her response stopped Doug’s curiosity about Diane’s unusual comment in its tracks. It fitted into the notion of people expressing their grief differently.
“I’m at the foot of the flight of stairs leading up to the cage’s door.”
“Diane!”
“Bye!”
There were a few seconds of silence and then a click.
“Fuck – she’s hung up!”
She paced back and forth for several seconds before asking Pippa “Can you drive me to Sudfield Hall?”
“Why do you want me to take you there?” asked Pippa. “You heard her...she...”
“Diane’s in a very bad place, yes” Leola said to Councillor Trennell, pointing discreetly at Doug.
Pippa nodded to signify she understood why Leola had butted in.
“I have my reasons, which I’ll explain in the car. Will you take me?”
“Yes, I will, but I’m holding you to that!”
“What do you want me to say to Rosie when she comes out of her room?”
“Just tell her I’ve got county council business to take care of, Jennifer. That explanation usually works.”
“Okay!”
Leola and Pippa entered the downstairs corridor. Rosie was coming downstairs just as they were halfway out the door.
“Mum, where are you and Skye going?”
Neither of them answered as Councillor Trennell closed the door behind them. DCI Stoneham was now in charge of giving Rosie that answer.
At the place they were heading to, Diane was stood in front of the door with the key code security system. The first finger on her right hand was poised in alignment with the middle number of the nine digits. It faltered for a second or two. One last tiny sliver of conscience had wriggled its way in. An image of Darcy as a 16 year-old formed in her mind, and her resolve returned. She entered in the code to open the door. The green light came on, and she it opened it wide, deliberately leaving it ajar. Diane rushed down each flight of stairs as quickly as possible. She reached the driveway and got back in her car. Diane put the key in the ignition and turned it a little to the right. This wasn’t to get the engine going – it was merely to activate the digital radio and CD player in the vehicle. Diane selected a channel and turned it up, so she wouldn’t hear what was about to happen in Sudfield. The loud music was her insulation against what she’d done.
Through the door to ‘The Fridge’, Emily and Lynette appeared. Still in their nightgowns, the sisters exchanged glances, smiled malevolently at one another, and zipped through the door ahead of them at lightning speed.



No comments:

Post a Comment