Wednesday 26 October 2016

Darkness Dominates - Chapter 7


All the Alven High School pupils shared a common ability – exiting faster than entering. Rosie and Alicia were lagging behind Katy by at least five minutes. Mr. Linfield had tried to see if they were interested in going on an upcoming trip to Ermyngor Castle. Both girls shook their heads and returned to checking their Twitter accounts via their phones. Between them, they’d received 17 tweets before a minute was up. Rosie smiled broadly at the most recent.
“Jake’s become a follower!”
“So, he’s way into you, after all!”
“He must be – all my tweet-buddies are female!”
“Are you gonna tweet him back?”
“When I get home, Ali”
Alicia attempted to peek at the tweet Jake sent to her friend. Rosie had anticipated this move and placed the phone’s display screen against her chest. It was almost a reflex action. She moved it away from her jumper when Alicia’s eyes were facing forward again. Katy was talking to Geena Bryant when they reached the schoolyard. She handed her a copy of ‘The Taming of the Shrew’. Alicia was open-mouthed when she saw the title on the cover.
“So not PC, Katy”
“It’s Shakespeare” said Evelyn sternly. “Drama & literature shouldn’t be judged by today’s standards.”
“Yeah, but it’s like well sexist, Ms Bryant” said Alicia.
“I pity this generation” muttered Evelyn as she made her way over to her car.
“Once more with zero sense of humour!” said Rosie.
“What is her deal?”
Nobody answered Alicia’s question. Katy was flicking through the book Evelyn had given her. Rosie was reading Jake’s tweet again.
“Hottie alert at three o’clock” Alicia said, half-grinning.
Alicia made that facial expression as sultry as possible. She’d only been without a boyfriend for two days straight, but she was already getting withdrawal symptoms. An eye-candy fix was in order. Possibly ready to supply that was a friend of Jake’s, Mark Beaumont. He was a second away from catching her eye, when he caught a football instead. Someone, she didn’t spot who, had thrown it in his direction. It seemed to Alicia that he had more interest in footie than flirting with her.
“Offside!” she yelled.
He looked her as if she was mental. She’d already been on the receiving end of that sort of glance. Her ex-boyfriend was the one who’d looked at her in that light. Witnessing her moment of romantic bad luck was DCI Stoneham.
“Wide of the net, Ali”
“More like own goal, mum” she replied, frowning.
“Is Mrs. Davidson still in her office?”
“I guess so – why do you want to go see her?”
“I can’t go into details, love”
“I get it – police business!”
“I want you home tonight by 8pm at the latest, Ali”
The anxiety in Jennifer’s voice gave Alicia the clearest clue as to what was driving it. The second victim of this new serial rapist was the local TV news’s main headline.
“You’re gonna be working late again, mum, aren’t you?”
“Until around midnight, maybe for a bit longer – what do you want for tea?”
“I hadn’t thought about it”
“What about fish fingers and chips?”
“I fancy something Italian...and I’m not going to The Glass House tonight”
“Something Italian it is then! Tell you what, if you stick around school until I’m done talking to Paula, then we’ll swing by Sterling’s, so we can check out whether you want pasta or pizza.”
Having finished viewing her Twitter page, Rosie came back to chat with Alicia. Jake wasn’t going to be the reason for her to be neglectful towards one of her friends. She said “Hi” to Alicia’s mother as she approached.
“Hi Rosie, I’m glad I ran into you – I need you to pass on a message to your mum.”
“Pass away”
“Tell her I’ll be dropping by her office tomorrow morning to discuss manpower and funding. Chief Constable Matheson wants assurances from her over council spending.”
“I’m glad I’m not in CID” said Rosie. “I’ll make sure she gets the message.”
Paula was two minutes away from wrapping things up for the day, when the school secretary knocked on her door.
“Yes, Miss Franks, what is it?”
“DCI Stoneham’s here to see you” the secretary told Mrs. Davidson through the half-open door.
“What – oh yes, show her in, Miss Franks”
She held the door open for Jennifer as she entered.
“Have you brought the file with you?”
DCI Stoneham held it up for a moment and then slid it across the desk to the headmistress. Paula started reading its contents.
“So, one of our ex-pupils is a possible suspect”
“A person of interest is more accurate right now. You know I can’t speculate on that.”
“I’ll have to show this to my deputy head”
“Where is Geena? I thought she’d want to be in this meeting.”
“Family business – she had to leave ten minutes before home time.”
Evelyn kept looking at the clock in Matt’s Cafe rather than check the time on her phone’s display menu. She thought that having more than one use for it was absurd. She was a decade behind other people in embracing the telephone’s technological evolution. Lucy was late. A hangover from her boarding school career, Evelyn found disregarding punctuality as intolerable. She didn’t draw attention to it. To do that would show how far away she was from today’s world. She knew she was a youngster in other vampires’ eyes, but she still proudly carried the values of her generation with her. Lucy’s less than impressive timekeeping skills weren’t mentioned when she did walk into the cafe.
“Sorry I couldn’t get here sooner, Geena” said Lucy as she sat down across from Evelyn. “I had county council documents to update – so dull! It makes me appreciate my night job even more”
“We’re not here to discuss what kind of employment you prefer, Tina! You said over the phone there’s a problem with the Sudfield situation – so what is it?”
“Holly Pearce”
“Who’s Holly Pearce?”
“She saw the sisters through one of the third floor windows.”
“Did she tell you this directly?”
“No”
“Then how do you know that was what she’d come to see Councillor Trennell about?”
“She definitely had something preying on her mind. Holly said she’s a volunteer at Sudfield, so I made an educated guess it was to do with Emma and Sophie Walsh.”
“Julian only accepts hard evidence of containment issues, not guesswork.”
“I know that, Geena, but I don’t think we should ignore this. Holly could possibly arouse Councillor Trennell’s suspicions about what’s really going on at Sudfield.”
“Did Holly’s visit have that effect?”
“I don’t think it did, no. From the look on her face, I sensed Pippa didn’t take what she said seriously. Are you going to inform him about it?”
“Not until I’m sure it qualifies as a major problem.”
“Well, I’m going to tell Skye about this”
“I don’t think that’s wise”
“I know you don’t, but I do, Geena.”
“That’s breaking protocol!”
“No it’s not, Geena! Our objectives remain identical – making sure the line between our world and theirs holds firm. If it disintegrates...”
Geena didn’t urge Tina to finish what she started to say. The silence spoke volumes to her, and alarm started to show in her eyes. It stayed there as Evelyn asked “What are you going to do about Holly if you’re intuition is correct?”
“That’s what Skye and I are going to talk about, this evening.”

The end of afternoon period at Sterling’s biggest branch was experiencing a surge in trade. Special offers on certain items were tempting people to come and shop when they normally wouldn’t. Jennifer decided to take advantage of a few of them. If there was a chance of saving a few quid, she’d happily go for a bargain. This didn’t mean she was thrifty. Eight times out of ten, she recognised that quality merchandise had to be paid for, expensive or not. The items Alicia and her mum took off the aisles’ shelves and put into the trolley totalled nine. When they neared the checkouts, DCI Stoneham saw Doug handling groceries at one of the tills.
“I thought you’d be in your office”
“Three people called in sick. I decided to man one of the tills for a few hours. Hi, Alicia”
“Hi, Mr. Trennell” Jennifer’s daughter said.
“Ali, why don’t you browse the magazine section?”
“Cool”
Alicia headed that way enthusiastically. This month’s issue of a teen magazine she’d seen advertised was due out today.
“You know, Jennifer, you could’ve used one of the 10 items or less tills – you’ve got one less than that”
“I know, but I wanted to talk to you, anyway.”
“What about”
“Keeping women under 40 safe to walk the streets at night”
“I see”
“Glad you do – you’ll need to alert your daughters. I’ve already talked to Katy Lonsdale’s parents on the phone, so they’ll tell her to be home before dusk sets in.”
“I’ll tell them of the danger – Skye Linton too.”
“Is that the girl who bolted from Sudfield?”
“How did you hear about that?”
“Ali told me over breakfast. Anyway, Doug, I’ll just get these groceries scanned, paid for, and I’ll let you get on. I’ve got to get Alicia home – I’m working late, probably until early the next morning.”
“Are you making her dinner before you head out?”
“No, she’s making it herself – Alicia’s idea. She suggested it on the drive over here. Her domestic science grades are pretty high. She knows how to use the oven, grill and hobs, so I think it’ll be safe.”
Doug efficiently whisked each item from the conveyor belt, over the beeper and onto where groceries are bagged.
“That’ll be £16.27”
His I-Phone began to ring. The face in the centre of the screen and the number he saw both belonged to Pippa. Despite it being slightly inconvenient, he took the call.
“Hi, Pips”
Pippa was walking to the reception area as she started the phone conversation with her husband.
“No eviction! The Hicks are pissing well here to stay – for now! Shit! I don’t know how Councillor Gilbert was able to gloss over all the complaints made against them, but he did. Who cares if they make homeowners’ lives a misery, just as long as his pockets are well-lined! Jesus – can that man get any fucking greedier!”
“Careful, Pips, the corridor housing the offices echoes. He might hear you through his office door” said Doug, his voice coming through the receiver.
“I don’t care if he does – the whole county council will get it in the neck from the press!”
Her tone was edging towards a rant.
“Do you think there’ll be another vote on this?”
“I’m seriously hoping so, Doug! If I can present solid evidence that the Hicks’ behaviour crosses into law-breaking, then I can get more support for evicting that scum than I have at this moment!”
“You sound stressed, Pips”
“Holly Pearce’s visit didn’t help. Her pal got fired, and she tried to make out there was something dodgy going on. I sent her packing. I’ve no time for silly personal grievances right now!”
“You’ve never had time for that”
“She even said Skye Linton’s not Skye Linton!”
“That sounds really daft!”
“Tell me about it! I showed her the photo I took when I first brought her home. Holly didn’t recognise it at all, or says she...”
Some inner curiosity overcame Pippa at high velocity. She brought up the ‘Menu’ screen and the touched the photo album. With her right forefinger, she enlarged that photo of Skye, glancing at it from all angles.
“Pips – are you there?”
“Yeah I am. Can I call you back, Doug?”
“What’s up?”
“I need to go back to my office.”
“Why”
“I just want to look something up on the internet – I’ll give you a ring a little later.”
“Hello, Pips – are you there?”
Dial tone was all that could be heard on his end of the line. He selected ‘End Call’ and started passing the next lot of groceries over the barcode scanner.
“Demoted already” said Ms Farnham.
Doug looked up and to see Diane clutching a sliced brown loaf. For him, her turning up here was completely out of the blue. He wanted to greet her with a hug, but he was still on duty. Behind her, Doug saw another woman queuing up to be served after Diane. Each item was passed over the glass panel, prompting beep after beep. The pace was quicker. When he’d dealt with his school friend and the customer behind her, he put up a ‘Checkout Closed’ sign on top of the conveyor belt.
“What are you doing, Doug?” she asked, as she placed the last shopping bag in her trolley.
“Inviting you for a coffee in Sterling’s restaurant, upstairs”
Doug came back to the table he’d found for him and Diane with a couple of brown sachets.
“There were no sweetener sachets, so it’ll have to be brown sugar”
“That’s fine, Doug”
Diane ripped them both open, pouring the contents into her hot drink, and then taking her first sip.
“I heard Darcy isn’t well”
“Her getting headaches and passing out is all I’ve heard from Canroth College recently, regarding my daughter.”
In Diane’s voice was the veneer of a mood that was getting sourer, day-by-day.
“Is she taking anything for it?”
“Pills that seem to have no effect”
“None at all”
“Her sore heads and fainting spells are getting more and more frequent, instead of diminishing”
“What does your GP say?”
“Nothing that’s any fucking help...sorry, Doug – I didn’t mean to swear.”
“We’re adults...we’re allowed to”
“Can we please talk about your family?”
Her question was irascibly delivered. Doug tried not to be perturbed by her tone’s increasing sharpness.
“Charlotte’s seeing someone”
“What’s his name?”
“Martin – he likes the same wine as me”
“A potential son-in-law”
“Depends on Charlotte’s feelings for him: she’s had boyfriends before, but they didn’t feel like they were serious relationships”
“And this has that vibe?”
“It kind of does, but you never know with these things, do you.”
“If a wedding’s imminent, Darcy and I would love to be at the ceremony.”
“I’d love you to be there, Diane. I...”
Ms Farnham’s phone interrupted him.
“Hello? Yes, this is Diane Farnham. What?”
The hand that was holding the phone started to wobble.
“I’ll be right there”
A significant amount of colour disappeared from her face. Doug easily acknowledged Diane had received news she’d hoped not to get.
“Is it Darcy?”
“Her roommate called. They were in a popular culture seminar. Her nose started bleeding and she complained of having a headache...then she said Darcy just collapsed. She’s at Canroth General.”
Diane’s manner was detached, as if in a daze. Doug saw she was on the verge of hyperventilating.
“Take some deep breaths”
She breathed in and out for the best part of a minute. Her eyes then drifted over to the shopping trolley filled with supermarket goods. He saw what his friend was looking at.
“I’ll have a member of staff keep hold of your groceries.”
“I’ll pick them up on my way back from hospital”
“I’m driving you there”
“You don’t need to”
“I want to”
Diane put a grateful hand on Doug’s.
“You’d do the same, if I were in your shoes” he said softly.

No comments:

Post a Comment